Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Price Is Right... Wrong... Right... Wrong... Right

A recent fun-filled pharmacy experience to share with you:

After I received a prescription from my doctor...

1. I checked the medication on the Aetna website to (a) ensure that it was covered, and (b) confirm the cost. According to the Aetna site, the medication would cost $40.00 at a retail pharmacy.

2. I then went to a retail pharmacy to have the prescription filled. At that time, the pharmacist informed that, according to their Aetna information, my cost would be $240.00.

3. I took the prescription back and called Aetna on the next business day. At this time, Aetna informed me that the pharmacy was mistaken, and that my cost would be only $40.00, as it stated on the website.

4. After work that same I returned to the pharmacy. Once again, however, the pharmacy told me that they would have to charge me the $240.00 rate, per Aetna.

5. So, I took back my prescription so that I could print out all of the screens from the Aetna website... screens which would verify that I qualified for the $40.00 rate.

6. Upon presenting this paperwork to the pharmacy, I spoke with the pharmacist... who informed me that Aetna was giving me incorrect information. To aid in my plight, the pharmacist offered to call Aetna on my behalf.

7. The pharmacist was able to get nowhere with the call, unfortunately. By this time, I could not wait any longer for the medication, so I ponied up the $240.00 out of my pocket. Oh, by the way - my old health insurance used to charge me only $30.00 for this same medication.

8. But wait - there's more: I called Aetna YET AGAIN on the next day. The person with whom I spoke assured me that the retail pharmacy was in error... and to verify this, the person offered to transfer me to Aetna's pharmacy department.

9. Upon speaking with someone from Aetna's pharmacy department, I was told that... my retail pharmacy was CORRECT all along, and that I had to pay the $240.00 up front.

Yeah, Aetna's great. I sleep well at night knowing that my health-care management is in their capable hands.

No comments: